Pipsqueak @Pipsqueak
09 May, 10:44
An update on my Duck eggs. It’s been 7 days since I started the incubation. The 2 bigger eggs yokes are growing but I’m not seeing any veins in the eggs yet not sure if it will take a few more days since they are so much bigger. The 2 little eggs have veins and are growing, I could be a duck Momma at the end of the month. 🦆🦆

Notice: Undefined index: tg1tga_access in /home/admin/www/anonup.com/themes/default/apps/timeline/post.phtml on line 396
Laurie Wilson @Micah6_8
09 May, 12:18
In response Pipsqueak to her Publication
Long time homesteader here. If you started these at the same time, they should all have blood vessels showing at the same time. No blood vessels means dud eggs. Keep them in for another week but then remove them.

Quail are fun to incubate, they hatch at about 16 days and start laying eggs at about 8 weeks. Faster hatching and layer critter out there ;)

Notice: Undefined index: tg1tga_access in /home/admin/www/anonup.com/themes/default/apps/timeline/post.phtml on line 396
Pipsqueak @Pipsqueak
09 May, 12:27
In response Laurie Wilson to her Publication
Thank you Laurie I’m going to take your advice and leave the 2 bigger ones for another week. I asked my family for a baby duck instead my son brought me 4 duck eggs from a friends farm. I have never done this before and have been doing lots of research on how to care for them. So excited. I’m hoping to have at least one baby duck, but I’m willing to keep 2.😁😄❤️

Laurie Wilson @Micah6_8
09 May, 01:53
Some eggs are just not fertilized or the embry dies right away. You'll know the difference as the yolk remains yellowish for about 2 weeks, then turns darker over time but no blood vessels.

Ducks are fun but they are a very messy creature! And, be cautious with growing and adult ducks as they will literally shred your arms, your face, your belly with their claws. I finally got rid of our ducks a few years ago. It was way too much work and a literal bloody sacrifice to care for them - picking one up even when doing it correctly can cause a lot of injury.

Never keep just one poultry either, they need another for company and for warmth and protection. Minimum of two, always.

Also, make sure they have a deep water dish they can stick their whole head in once they are a few weeks old - they must have water deep enough to stick their head in so they can clean their eyes and especially their nostrils. They can die without cleaning their nostrils.

Have fun - hatching eggs is am

Pipsqueak @Pipsqueak
09 May, 02:49
In response Laurie Wilson to her Publication
I figured I would keep 2 if they hatch. Thankfully where we got them from he will take back any I don’t want. They hatch the eggs then sell the ducks at auction.
I’m nervous but willing to give it a try, I have always wanted a duck, husband thinks I’m crazy. I told him like you didn’t know that after 26 years🤣😂.
Hopefully it works out, if not I was willing to try.
Thank you for the tips, I will keep you posted. If I have any questions I will look for you😁❤️❤️🌻

Laurie Wilson @Micah6_8
Yes, if I can help in any way just let me know.

They are a lot of fun and good weeders if you keep them moving so they don't sit in one spot too long and eat everything.

Sounds like a good set up with giving them back if you have too many :)

What kind are they? White Peking or Rouen or Runners or ???

Chickens are also fascinating to just sit and watch, LOL! You can easily just sit and watch for an hour and not get bored - no idea why, they are just mesmerizing.
10:54 PM - May 09, 2023
Only people mentioned by Micah6_8 in this post can reply

No replys yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from Laurie Wilson, click on at the bottom under it